In accordance with STC Board Policy 3345:
Subject to the conditions listed below, South Texas College guarantees that students earning the Certificate of Completion, Associate of Applied Science Degree, Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Applied Technology, will have the job skills necessary for entry-level employment in the technical field for which they have been trained. If an employer judges the graduate as lacking in skills identified as exit competencies for the program of study, the graduate will be provided up to 12 tuition-free credit hours of additional training.
Special conditions which apply to this guarantee are as follows:
- The graduate must have earned the Certificate of Completion, Associate of Applied Science degree, Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Applied Technology beginning September 1994, or thereafter in a Technical/Vocational/Occupational program identified in the College catalog.
- The graduate must have completed the degree or certificate program with the College (with 75% of credits earned at the College) and must have completed the graduation requirements within a 3 year time span for the Certificate of Completion, a 5 year time span for the Associate of Applied Science, and a 7 year time span for the Bachelor of Applied Technology, or Bachelor of Applied Science.
- The graduate must be employed full-time in an area directly related to the area of program concentration as certified by the appropriate career program chair.
- Employment must commence within 12 months of graduation.
- The employer must certify in writing that the employee is lacking entry-level skills identified by the College as the exit level program competencies and must specify the areas of deficiency within 90 days of the graduate's initial employment.
- The employer, graduate, program chair, counselor, and appropriate faculty member will develop a written educational plan for retraining.
- Retraining will be limited to 12 credit hours related to the identified skill deficiency and to those classes regularly scheduled during the period covered by the retraining plan.
- All retraining must be completed within a calendar year from the time the educational plan is agreed upon.
- The graduate and/or employer is responsible for the cost of books, insurance, uniforms, fees, and other course-related expenses.
- The guarantee does not imply that the graduate will pass any licensing or qualifying examination for a particular career.
- The students' sole remedy against the College and its employees for skills deficiencies shall be limited to 12 credit hours of tuition-free course work under conditions described above.
- Activation of the "Graduate Guarantee Program" may be initiated by the graduate through contact with the appropriate academic dean within 90 days of the graduate's initial employment.