Creation and Accreditation
South Texas College was created on September 1, 1993, by Texas Senate Bill 251 to serve Hidalgo and Starr counties. It was the only community college in Texas to have been established by the Texas Legislature. A confirmation election, held on August 12, 1995, established a taxing district for the college. Seven districts, based on population, were also approved for single-member representation on the Board of Trustees. A community leader from each of the seven districts was originally appointed by Governor Ann Richards to serve on the founding Board of Trustees. Since then, an election process has been established, and all board members are elected for six year terms.
In December of 2004, South Texas College was awarded membership from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges as a Level II-Baccalaureate Degree granting institution to offer the Bachelor of Applied Technology Degree. Today, the college offers three Bachelor of Applied Technology degrees, one in Computer and Information Technologies, another in Medical and Health Services Management and a third in Technology Management. A Bachelor of Applied Science in Organizational Leadership is now also offered.
Since its inception, South Texas College has grown from 1,000 students to an enrollment of 33,995 in Fall 2016 and has conferred more than 47,000 degrees and certificates.
South Texas College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Baccalaureate and Associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of South Texas College.
South Texas College's offerings are approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. It is also approved for veterans' educational training in Certificate and Associate of Applied Science Degree programs by the Texas Education Agency.