Centers for Learning Excellence
The Centers for Learning Excellence (CLE) offer comprehensive academic learning support services at all STC campuses: Mid-Valley, Nursing and Allied Health, Pecan, Starr County, and Technology. Limited services are also available at the Regional Center for Public Safety Excellence. CLE services are free and available to all STC students, including Early College High School students and other students participating in dual credit or distance education courses. Comprehensive face-to-face services include academic coaching, appointment-based tutoring, embedded tutoring, group tutoring, Supplemental Instruction support, and learning support workshops.. Online services include synchronous and asynchronous tutoring, and 24/7 access to student success workshops.
Part-time and full-time staff members at the CLE help students foster the learning skills and course content knowledge required for college success. At the CLE, students can receive high-quality tutoring and other academic support resources in a broad variety of subject areas. The CLE's rigorous training program has earned the highest level of International Tutor Training Program Certification by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA), the gold standard for training in the academic support field.
The CLE offers a welcoming and comfortable environment where students may access computer lab support with a variety of specialized software programs, private study rooms for student use with or without tutoring assistance, adaptive learning equipment, and a variety of reference materials and learning resources.
CLE Service Descriptions
- Individual Tutoring (on-site) is available to students in the physical centers during scheduled hours by appointment. Walk-ins are accommodated if possible. CLE schedules for all centers are viewable online, and appointments may be made over the phone or from the CLE website.
- Online Tutoring is available for students whose schedules or learning preferences do not accommodate traditional on-campus learning support. The CLE offers online tutoring in most subject areas. The service features both real-time tutoring and submit-and-return options for paper reviews, which provide prompt assistance to students 24 hours a day/seven days a week. Appointments may be made from the CLE website.
- Academic Coaching is available to students during scheduled hours or by appointment. Coaches meet with students weekly or as needed for help with topics like using a planner, developing a study plan, managing time more effectively, or communicating more effectively. Class presentations are also available upon request.
- Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a free, CLE-sponsored program in which a peer learning mentor, called an SI Leader, attends class and facilitates regular study sessions in order to maximize student success. SI has been shown to increase student course completion and success, and SI leaders are typically assigned to courses that are seen as academically challenging. Enrollment in SI classes (marked with "+SI Support" in STC online course schedules) is limited, so early registration is encouraged.
- Embedded Tutoring is an in-class service to support skills labs and courses with specialized equipment or applications. Supportive staff members assist students with practical application of concepts and skills taught by STC faculty.
- Group Tutoring provides an opportunity for students studying in groups of four or more to obtain up to one hour of tutoring assistance.
- Student Success Workshops are seminars provided by CLE tutors and staff. The workshops are offered throughout the fall, spring, and summer semesters and cover a variety of subjects, including Texas State Initiative Assessment (TSIA) preparation. Students can learn ways to maximize study time, organize notes, manage time effectively, or master key academic concepts by participating in these sessions. Short videos on a variety of student success subjects are available 24 hours a day. Note: On-site workshops have been suspended as a COVID-19 response measure, but virtual services are still available.
- Open Labs partners with CLE to support students at each STC campus with computer-based resources, specialized software, and knowledgeable lab staff to assist with software and equipment-related needs. Frequently-requested services include wireless set up on personal devices and password support for scanners, JagPrint, and JagNet. Open Labs in the CLE support most programs needed by students for their classes and include specialized software titles such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Master Collection, Creative Cloud, SolidWorks, SketchUp, AutoDesk, MasterCam, and many more.
Visit the https://www.southtexascollege.edu/cle/ for up-to-date information on tutor schedules, hours of operation, and complete descriptions of the academic support services.