Centers for Learning Excellence
The Center for Learning Excellence (CLE) is STC's comprehensive learning support and academic tutoring center. The CLE helps students foster the learning skills and course content knowledge required to be successful in college. At the CLE, students can receive high-quality tutoring and other academic support resources in a broad variety of subject areas.
The array of CLE services, which are free and available to all STC students, include drop-in tutoring, appointment tutoring, group tutoring, online tutoring, Supplemental Instruction programs, Learning Support Workshops, and individual test proctoring. The CLE also offers a welcoming and comfortable environment where students may access computer lab support with a variety of specialized software programs, private study rooms for student use with or without tutoring assistance, adaptive learning equipment, and numerous reference materials and learning resources.
The CLE Open Labs house nearly 350 computers across the district open for student use with helpful and professional lab staff always on duty. CLE computer labs may also be reserved for group activities, trainings, or class visits.
The CLE has been awarded the highest level of certification status from the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA), an international organization that certifies academic learning centers based on established best practices for tutor training and evaluation. CLE sites are located on every STC Campus: Mid-Valley, Nursing and Allied Health, Pecan, Starr County, and Technology Center.
The following are descriptions of the programs and services available to all STC students sponsored by the Centers for Learning Excellence (CLE):
- Supplemental Instruction is a CLE-sponsored program in which a peer learning mentor, called an SI Leader, attends class and holds regular study sessions in order to maximize student success. SI has been shown to increase student course completion and success and is typically assigned to courses that are seen as academically challenging. Students may enroll in an SI course free of charge. Enrollment in SI classes is limited, so early registration is encouraged.
- CLE Open Labs support students at each STC campus with computer-based resources, specialized software, and knowledgeable lab staff to assist with any computer-related need. CLE open labs support most programs needed by students for their classes. Specialized software titles include Microsoft Office Suite 2013, Adobe Master Collection, Creative Cloud, SolidWorks, SketchUp, AutoDesk, MasterCam and many more.
- Online Tutoring is available for students whose schedules cannot accommodate traditional on-campus learning support. CLE offers online tutoring in most subject areas. The service features both real-time and submit-and-return options which provide prompt assistance to students 24 hours a day/seven days a week.
- Test Proctoring is available at the CLE for individual student testing needs. CLE provides proctoring services by appointment to any STC student. CLE proctoring services are available on all campuses and can be administered in either online or paper test formats.
- Group Tutoring provides an opportunity for students studying in groups of four or more to obtain up to one hour of tutoring assistance in the CLE's private study rooms.
- Student Success Workshops are informational training seminars provided by CLE tutors and STC staff and faculty. The workshops are offered throughout the fall, spring, and summer semesters and cover a variety of subjects. Students can learn ways to maximize study time, organize notes, manage time effectively, or master key academic concepts by participating in these sessions. CLE workshop series also includes final exam review sessions for a variety of courses.
- Other specialized CLE Programs and Services include ASL Learning Lab, ESL Student Services, JagPrint, JagNet password support and much more.
Please visit the CLE website for up-to-date information on tutor schedules, hours of operation, and complete descriptions of the academic support services or select the CLE tutoring link on the STC homepage.